Friday, October 15, 2010

An Open Letter


Dear Fellow Sufferers of the NJ Transit Rail System,

It appears we've all done something terrible in another life to be subjected to this 5th circle of hell known as the NJ-NYC commute. Fares are going up, service is practically non-existent, and it's a rare day when you don't have to stand the whole way to Penn Station or share your seat with 6 cackling teenagers. I'd like to present you all with a few suggestions to making the train ride more bearable. More like the 3rd circle of hell, reserved for Creed fans and people who wear stretch pants with shirts that don't cover their asses. So without further ado...

  • If you're going to listen to your iPod, even with headphones, you still need to keep the volume at a reasonable level. Why even bother wearing headphones if your music is so loud it feels like it's coming from INSIDE MY BRAIN?? Also, that song sucks.
  • Bring a tissue. No one wants to listen to you sniffle for 35 minutes straight. 
  • Do not perform grooming activities that are normally reserved for the bathroom. I get the makeup application, but there should be no plucking, clipping, or tweezing of any kind happening. You are in public, for Christ's sake! And if one of those eyebrow hairs lands on my purse, so help me God lady, I will pull the emergency brake and toss your ass out of this car into the Meadowlands with Jimmy Hoffa!
  • If you plan to bring your baby on an 8am commuter train, that bottle better be laced with NARCOTICS.
  • Don't talk to me about politics.
  • Don't talk to me about the weather.
  • Yes, the train is late. Again. Don't talk to me about that either.
  • Just don't fucking talk to me.
  • If you are under the age of 16 or can't keep yourself from saying the word "like" as, like, every other, like, word, your fellow passengers have the right to staple your face shut for the duration of the trip.
  • If the train is packed, your bag does not get its own seat. Don't make me ask you to move it or I will jump you like a high school girl with her eyebrows painted on and hoop earrings with her name in them.
  • DON'T TALK TO ME. 
If we can all follow these few simple rules, I'm sure it will bring goodwill and cheer to all commuters.

Or at least I won't have to bring an M-16 on the train and spray anyone's brains on the nice new seats of the double decker.

Cheers!
    Commuter Chan

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like Melbourne! We really were spoiled in Japan.

    > If the train is packed, your bag does not get its own seat.

    Also, don't sit on the isle if there's a window seat - you're effectively taking up two. I can't believe how many people do this.

    > Just don't fucking talk to me.

    Nah, I do like random conversations with strangers.

    ReplyDelete